MTV’s A THIN LINE campaign was developed to empower young people to identify, respond to, and stop the spread of digital abuse, which includes behaviors like sexting, cyber-bullying and digital dating abuse. Digital abuse is impacting young people nationwide, with 50 percent of 14-24 year olds reporting they have been the target of some form of digital abuse.
The campaign is built on the understanding that there’s a “thin line” between what may begin as a harmless joke and something that could end up having a serious impact. We know no generation has ever had to deal with this, so we want to partner with young people to help figure it out. On-air, online and on cell phones, we hope to spark a conversation and deliver information that helps young people everywhere draw their own digital line.
What is the A THIN LINE Street Team?
The A THIN LINE Street Team consists of young people who have been hand-selected to be campaign ambassadors. Some ways that Street Teamers can get involved include:
- Engaging with the community – A THIN LINE’s website, Facebook page, MySpace page, Twitter profile and online application allow young people to discuss how digital abuse is impacting their own lives and their communities. Street Teamers can help drive the conversation on these pages.
- Raising awareness – Even though digital abuse is widespread, many teens don’t recognize when it is happening to them and some don’t think they have the power to stop it. Street Teamers help spread the word about A THIN LINE to young people in their schools and their communities to make sure everyone feels empowered to take control.
- Providing input – A THIN LINE is constantly evolving to respond to what young people are going through. Street Teamers provide valuable feedback on how to amplify the youth voice in A THIN LINE and weigh in on campaign concepts. Additionally, Street Teamers are vital in helping to find real-life stories that can become a part of the campaign.
Who can be a Street Teamer?
People between the ages of 13-29 who have experience with social media sites and knowledge of how to deal with digital abuse, either through volunteer work with another organization or relevant training.
Why should I be a Street Teamer?
- By joining the A THIN LINE Street Team, you will have the power to influence young people nationwide on this important and increasingly relevant topic. You may also be tapped to help guide elements of MTV’s A THIN LINE campaign.
- Your contributions will be recognized in a variety of ways, including acknowledgement on ATHINLINE.org, pre-release access to A THIN LINE content, MTV Swag, and more.
How can I become a Street Teamer?
Send answers to the following questions (no more than 500 words total) with the subject line “Street Team” to [email protected]. We will contact you by phone or email to let you know if you have been selected.
- How old are you?
- What grade / year of college are you in?
- Where are you from?
- What is your gender?
- Why do you want to be a Street Teamer?
- What would make you a great Street Teamer? Have you done any work related to digital abuse? If so, have you worked with any other organizations?
- What ideas do you have to extend the reach of A THIN LINE and make it more effective?
- What is your email address and phone number?